Saturday, April 19, 2008

Part 5 changing names part way!

www.corporategiftsboston.com


Finally I managed to understand and sort through the many things that were needed to get started and the web went live! Bells and whistles were blowing, e mails flying and I couldn’t be stopped! Then woe is me, a Company was threatening me with injunctions for copyright on names. To make it worse it was 3 weeks before Christmas, and I was sorting out my biggest order.

Lesson two. Thoroughly check out the name you have chosen for your business by web sites, directories and, if you can get the Federal department who allocates you an EIN number to confirm if there are limited companies as well as DBA businesses with that name! The ignorance of the newcomer……. Didn’t see the name exactly on any web pages, and anything similar shouldn’t matter should it? So what if there is only a hyphen difference in the web page domain name?

I had to change name one month in, due to conflict with an opposing Company, but, it actually did me a favor. I have managed to get links with my new name much more easily due to its sound and descriptive tone, plus it has the ‘ABC’ beginning title that gets to the top of lists without realizing that what I had chosen was of benefit to me.

Lesson three. Choose a name within the ABC rankings if you can!

No comments: