Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Part 4 Starting a Gift Basket business - Lessons to learn!

www.corporategiftsboston.com

Then came, ‘Corporate Gifts Boston’. Well actually that is a fabrication, then came Gift Baskets etc. to be explained soon. My new business that was launched through this love of gift giving and creativity.

After training with a lovely Company in Denver on the business of making baskets professionally, I came back to Boston with gusto and started the process of attaining national vendors, local vendors, commenced the set up of the website with help and patience of my web master. I say with patience as I had no clue as to what was needed from my end to start up a website. Pix re-sizing? What was that? Thumbnails, pixels and bites, hey this is a new language. Me administer the site after? I might delete everything! Not that I was completely computer illiterate but, come on, that was a lot to learn as well as everything else. And then there was shipping costs……… this was the bane of my life. What do you mean put an average shipping price on each basket to cover the cost any where in the country!!! Then add extensions? What did hair pieces have to do with it???? Yes I had a lot to learn……. Throw in a 4 year old and a husband and apartments to up keep and my life was full.

Lesson One. Make sure you have a checklist of needs from your Web designer before you embark on this journey, then there will be no surprises!

The easy part, after a few false attempts was the precious logo that I found and adapted, the epicurean style Olive branch taken in memory of my daughter, Olivia. The old French word meaning Olive tree. One has to have some personal memories included, don’t you think?



No comments: